SCHOOL OF SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY, SINGAPORE
INVESTIGATIVE SKILLS IN SCIENCE
Names: Jordan Koh, Jason Ng, Cassandra Chai
Group Reference: F
1. Indicate the type of research that you are adopting:
[-] Test a hypothesis: Hypothesis-driven research
e.g. Investigation of the anti-bacteria effect of chrysanthemum
[ ] Measure a value: Experimental research (I)
e.g. Determination of the mass of Jupiter using planetary photography
[ ] Measure a function or relationship: Experimental research (II)
e.g. Investigation of the effect of temperature on the growth of crystals
[ ] Construct a model: Theoretical sciences and applied mathematics
e.g. Modeling of the cooling curve of naphthalene
[ ] Observational and exploratory research
e.g. Investigation of the soil quality in School of Science and Technology, Singapore
[ ] Improve a product or process: Industrial and applied research
e.g. Development of a SMART and GREEN energy system for households
- Write a research proposal of your interested topic in the following format:
Title: The Investigation of Different Types of Soap on Skin Quality
- Question or Problem being addressed
Soap is used as a cleanser in daily life, however some soap may remove more than what they are supposed to. By doing this, we can find out what types of soap are actually good for the skin.
- Goals / Expected Outcomes / Hypotheses
Hypothesis: The effect on liquid soap on the jelly is not the same as the effect of bar soap on jelly.
- Description in detail of method or procedures (The following are important and key items that should be included when formulating ANY AND ALL research plans.)
Step 2: After 4 days, we will check the jelly and measure how moist is it.
Step 3: Input all data into a chart.
Bar Soap- Type 1
Liquid Soap- Type 1
Bar Soap- Type 2
Liquid Soap- Type 2
9 Petri Dishes
450ml of Jelly
9 Petri Dishes
450ml of Jelly
• Procedures: Detail all procedures and experimental design to be used for data collection
• Risk and Safety: Identify any potential risks and safety precautions to be taken.
Soap must not have any dangerous properties.
• Data Analysis: Describe the procedures you will use to analyze the data/results that answer research questions or hypotheses
After measuring the how moist each of the jelly is, all the data would be recorded into a chart or graph symbolizing the changes.
D. Bibliography: List at least five (5) major references (e.g. science journal articles, books, internet sites) from your literature review. If you plan to use vertebrate animals, one of these references must be an animal care reference. Choose the APA format and use it consistently to reference the literature used in the research plan. List your entries in alphabetical order.
1) FWD Media, I.. N.p.. Web. 8 Jul 2013. <http://www.sciencebuddies.org>.
2) Dowshen, S.. N.p.. Web. 8 Jul 2013. <http://kidshealth.org/kid/htbw/skin.html>.
3) James, Lee. Journal. Spring 2006. <http://www.stanford.edu/group/journal/cgi-bin/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/Li_Eng_2006.pdf>
4) . N.p.. Web. 8 Jul 2013. <http://dermatology.about.com/od/skincareproducts/a/cleanser_damage.htm>.5) Yannas, Et Al. n. page. <http://www.google.com/patents?hl=en&lr=&vid=USPAT4060081&id=9OA1AAAAEBAJ&oi=fnd&dq=synthetic skin&printsec=abstract